Skip Navigation
North Hampton NH Home
 
Detail Detail
 
This table is used for column layout.
Citizen Action Center
  • Vehicle Registration
  • Property Values
  • Subscribe to News
  • More
 
 
 
milestone marker

1092003_125659_0.png

Beginning in the 1670’s, Post Road served as the mail route between Portsmouth and Newburyport. In 1753, Deputy Postmaster Benjamin Franklin, using an odometer, measured the routes and installed mileposts.  The fee to post mail was based on distance.  Over time, some of the posts were replaced.  This granite post, engraved P/10N12, is the only one remaining in North Hampton.